Contact Information
last updated: 9/30/2013

FAQs about the University Archives

FAQs about the University Archives


Do I need an appointment to visit?

Although appointments are not required, it is always a good idea to contact us ahead of time and let us know what materials you are interested in viewing so that we can have them available for you.  Most of our collections are located in offsite storage and 24-48 hours advance notice is required to see materials from those collections.


Where can I park when I visit the Archives?
If you do not have a campus parking pass, there are a number of Visitor parking meters at the Wells Library.  If you plan to stay longer than two hours, however, it is recommended that you park in one of the campus pay lots.  The two closest to the Wells Library are the Jordan Avenue and Fee Lane garages. An interactive campus map is available at


Can I check out books or other materials?

No, like most archives and special collection repositories, materials in the collections are non-circulating and must be used in the Archives reading room.  The only exception to this rule is that we will loan materials to the office of origination, although we still prefer that materials are used in the Archives.


Are your materials available online?

It would be impossible to digitize our entire collection, as the University Archives houses approximately 17,000 cubic feet of records and an estimated 2 million photographic images.  We are constantly working on special projects to digitize select materials, and information on these projects are linked from our home page.  Additionally, you can search finding aids for our processed collections online at  These finding aids provide you with an overall description of our processed archival materials and do not represent our entire holdings.  If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact the Archives staff, as we may still have something related to your area of interest.


Can I make photocopies of materials?

Yes, in most cases photocopies can be created.  However, researchers are not permitted to make their own photocopies, and due to the fragile nature of materials some items may not be able to be duplicated at all.  Requests for a large number of copies may exceed our staff resources, but we will make suggestions as to how to satisfy your request.  Photocopies are $.30 per page.  We accept cash, checks (payable to Indiana University Archives), credit cards, or you may charge the copies to an IU departmental account.  At this time, we are unable to CampusAccess cards.


Can I get copies of photographs in your collection?

Yes.  Additional information on scanning charges is available at For additional information please contact our Photographs Curator, Brad Cook ( or 812-855-4495).


You have films (or sound recordings) that I would like to have copied.  Can I order this?

Yes, in general.  We do request that patrons pay for two copies of the work, one for themselves and one to be returned to the collection (if such a copy has not already been made).  Duplication is done by another university office and we will consult with them for pricing information once we have your request.


Could you send me a copy of my transcript?

The Archives does not have these records.  Information on how to request a copy of your transcript can be found on the Office of the Registrar?s website at


Can I obtain a copy of my theses/dissertation?

While a few theses have found their way into the Archives collection, in general we do not collect these.  The Herman B Wells Library does collect dissertations, however, and you can search for the dissertation in the library?s catalog at  Try also contacting the department in which you completed the work, as they do sometimes keep copies of theses.  Additionally, IU dissertations are microfilmed and now scanned by UMI Dissertation Publishing, and copies can be purchased from UMI.  For information on this service, see


Do you have the Indiana Daily Student?

We do, but for preservation purposes and broader access, we have had it microfilmed and do not allow patrons access to the paper copies in the Archives.  The microfilm is available in the Government Information, Microforms, and Statistical Services department on the 2nd floor of the Herman B Wells Library.  The reels are also available through interlibrary loan. Those affiliated with Indiana University Bloomingtoncan also access the Libraries' subscription to Access Newspaper Archives, where the IDS is digitized through 1923.


How do I cite the items from your collections that I used?

Please cite: [item], [Name of Collection], [Collection number], Office of University Archives and Records Management, Indiana University, Bloomington.


There is research I would like to do, but I don't think I can come to Bloomington. Can I hire a research assistant?

Yes, we have several graduate students from the School of Library and Information Science who are available to conduct research projects under your direction.  Once we locate a student who is interested in conducting the research, we will put them in contact with you and together you can establish fees and any other details of the research.  We will aid the students in finding resources, but we otherwise remove ourselves from the process.


How can I find out the value of a book or item in my possession?

The Archives does not provide monetary appraisals, nor can we recommend specific dealers or appraisers to you.  We suggest you contact:

What if the appraisal is for materials I plan to donate to the Archives?

Unfortunately, we are still not permitted to provide you with a monetary appraisal nor can we pay for the appraisal.  We will, however, send you a letter citing the historical significance of the materials when we send you the Deed of Gift.


I have some papers and books that I would like to sell to the Archives.  Who do I need to speak with about this?

Unfortunately, it is not within our budget to purchase materials.  Please consider a donation.  In any case, please contact the Archives to discuss the materials.


Can the Archives help me preserve my old books, photographs, or papers?

The Archivist can provide basic guidance to researchers in preserving their personal collections or family treasures.  However, there is a wealth of information available online:



last updated: 9/30/2013