Libraries
 

Contact Information
  
  • Department Head: Helene O'Leary

  • Location: Wells Library 234
    1320 East Tenth Street
    Bloomington, Indiana 47405-3907
  • Phone: (812) 855-3403
  • Fax: (812) 855-2576
  • Staff: View Staff

  • » View IUB Campus Map
  • » Building Access
last updated: 3/12/2008

Wylie House Museum (Advancement)

Wylie House Museum was originally the residence of Indiana University's first president, Andrew Wylie, his wife and 12 children.


Although the house was privately owned for many years, in 1947, Herman B Wells, then president of the university, encouraged and supported IU's purchase of the Wylie House. The house is now a university-owned museum under the direction of the IUB Libraries. Wylie House Museum is on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

With historical accuracy, Wylie House Museum recreates Indiana domestic life of the 1840s. From its stately front hall to the bedrooms upstairs, the museum reflects the history of one of IU's most prominent families. The grounds, with gardens filled with heirloom plants and vegetables, show the importance of agriculture to a nineteenth-century household.  The museum staff is well known for introducing local and endangered varieties of heirloom vegetables into national preservation networks.

In 2000 a donor established the Wylie House Interpretive Endowment to help fund a position to interpret the gardens and grounds to museum visitors.  Plans are underway to establish a Visitors Center, which will offer additional education opportunities. Designed to resemble a barn, the center will provide much-needed space for students and visitors to gather and to learn more about Indiana life as the Wylie family knew it.



last updated: 3/12/2008